I am so excited to show you our new fire pit! We started on May 18, thinking we'd have it ready for the start of summer. Ha! We should have known better. With obstacles such as rain, temperatures in the 90's two different weeks and a stump that wouldn't let go, we finally completed our project July 27, just hours before our first bonfire. Thank goodness for deadlines!
Here's a sneak peak at the finished product. After the step-by-step photos, I'll have more pictures of the completed project at the end of the post.
While we have ample property, the land we consider our back yard was small and all downhill. In order to have a fire pit, we (ok, Bob) had to terrace the dirt and create a level spot down at the bottom. That meant digging out at the top and filling in at the bottom.
While the bottom two levels were covered with pea gravel, we left the top level dirt, thinking since it's farther from the fire it should be safe for plants. I split some of my existing perennials to give it a finished look.
Ta da! Here's a rare photo of Bob sitting down! One of my small contributions to the project was hauling the wood from where Bob cut it and stacking it on the log rack.