Friends, I had grand plans of having articles all written and lined up to post while we're ministering in Kenya, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Nor did updating early (and little-read) posts. So, in a last-ditch attempt at publishing something, I'll be re-running posts from our previous trips. We'd greatly appreicate your prayers as we're on the mission field!
As Americans, we’re all about comfort, aren’t we? The problem is, God didn’t call us to be comfortable, He called us to be obedient.
"But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." ~ Exodus 9:16
How often have you heard (or used) these excuses?
“I could never speak (to a stranger, to a group, in public, etc.); I just wouldn’t be comfortable.
“I could never go without (electricity, running water, familiar food, sleep, fill in the blank...)
“I could never travel to a place with (insects, bats, creepy-crawlies...)
I just returned a few days ago from three weeks on the mission field in Kenya, where we encountered all of the above, and then some!
- Difficult travel (rough or impassable roads, long flights.)
- Mornings begun too early due to roosters, barking dogs or Muslim call to prayer.
- Living out of suitcases, rarely able to find anything.
- Toilets without seats (on a good day).
- Darkness, dirt and dust.
- Frequently surrounded by languages we didn’t understand.
- Speaking in front of groups with little notice, if any (and not just those of us who are speakers!)
- "Short walks” that last for hours (and once included walking up a mountain!)
- Lack of routine and pretty much everything familiar.
But we also experienced:
- A pastor cleaning the mud off our shoes every morning.
- Water carried in and heated for us to bathe in.
- Being served the very best they had to offer.
- The sound of children singing.
- Watching children who had never seen a playground before experience one!
- People receiving medical treatment for the first time in their lives.
- Hope restored.
- Souls saved.
God may not be calling you to go halfway around the world, but He is calling you. The question is, what is your response?